Stay Human

The title of this blog has been inspired by the late Italian activist Vittorio Arrignoi’s book ‘Stay Human’. I have not read it but if I were to ever visit a war torn area like Palestine and then come back to my mundane life, this is what I would tell myself and those around me. To stay human.

A lot of things are happening in the world. There are things we are unaware of but there are also things we CHOOSE to be unaware of. We simply tell ourselves we don’t care. Reality is far too horrific. We cannot admit that we live in a world where sunshine cannot penetrate the over covering darkness’s, that some monsters are impossible to kill, that justice does not exist for many.

It’s called denial and it’s a natural reaction. It has to be. Because if it weren’t we wouldn’t be able to cope with sorrows in our own life. But for how long will we use denial to create oblivion? What will it take for us to snap out of it?

To stay human is simply to rise above our boundaries of emotions. It is to accept that there are things beyond our control but also to understand what little step we can take in our own ways. Maybe a prayer, or spreading awareness about certain issues that most prefer to be silent about.

This is what this blog is about. I have been silent a long time. This is really a very small step but for now, it’s all I can do. In the end, I can only thank you for reading my blog. I admit it’s not a ‘feel good’ one and yes it might even really depress you at times. But these are excuses I have been using for myself for such a long time. Not anymore….because as much as it horrifies me, what about those who had to face it head on? We only get to know about them when their horror has passed and we thank God we were not in their place. But this is all I can do to stay human, and hopefully InshaaAllah to inspire others to do the same.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts