Tears of Gaza

I cannot get the images out of my head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5-mhBWBfDg

This is not the first time I have viewed this trailer....i actually saw it months back. I thought (or rather, hoped) to have forgotten it.

This is a trailer of a documentary on Gaza as seen specially through the eyes of Yehya (age 12), Amira (14) and Rasmia (11). Their sorrow is perhaps the most haunting aspect of all. Because when you get back to your own reality, what your remeber most is their tears, you hear their cries as if they were your own and you ache at the realization that their childhood has gone. They are far beyond their years. "I wish I had gone with them' or "I felt like I had lost the whole world'....words that you might have heard from a grown up facing a loss not young children.

I have not seen the documentary but from what I have read, you also learn about their aspirations in the documentary. We can definitely understand Yehya's desire to be a doctor so he can treat people who have been shot yet we all cant help wondering if he will ever make it........

I share Yehya's dream....yes that is my dream too. I want to be in Gaza...I want to treat the injured and no, I dont care how naive I sound. Those moments when I laugh at myself at the absurdity of my ambitions, they are quenched. This is important to me. I need it to stay human. I need to be in a place where justice is sidelined every minute. Just becasue I dont live there and am not a witness to their suffering I am in no way apart from them. We are all human and by choosing to ignore whats happening, we are no better than the oppressors

Ultimately, I can only quote a view that is beautifully expressed by Susan Abulhawa (http://occupiedpalestine.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/tears-of-gaza-lest-our-tears-dry-up/)
"And we should all allow our hearts be broken over Gaza. It’s the least we can do. To hear these three children and ask others to hear them is the very least we can do. Vibeke Lokkeberg has given us a monumentally important record of what happened in December 2009 to January 2010; so no one can ever say “I didn’t know”.


Lest we forget, lest our tears dry or outrage subside, and lest our hearts heal before Palestine is free, I hope this film will be shown throughout the world, across university campuses, communities, organizations and living rooms. Take this not just as a review, but a call to action.

Comments

Popular Posts