Beneath the Depths

Three days ago, I read about Natalia Molchanova for the first time ever.

Three days ago, I came to know of this amazing World Sea-Diving Champion, of her amazing achievements down in the depths below.

Three days ago, I also heard of her last dive ever from which she never surfaced again.

It was then  that Natalia breathed in for the last time as she prepared to go freediving somewhere near Ibiza, Spain. It was a feat she had pulled off before. She was not holding on to a guide rope nor did she have on the diver’s fins.


I don’t know why I am tearing up watching the video of her record-breaking dive or writing about this. Maybe its because I too long to see the depth for myself once, to catch a glimpse of the darkness before resurfacing into the light, because just like the air, the watery medium feels like my home too.

As human beings, we are fascinated by boundaries. We want to overcome them; be it down below  in the depths of the ocean or high above in the skies. And I am no different.

But I don’t need to go down to the depths to understand what the darkness feels like. And I don’t need to surface to know how welcoming the sunlight is.

I just have to understand their Creator. I just have to know the Controller of the Ocean and the storms. I don’t need to dive in or resurface to call for help, I only have to stretch my hands out to The One Who created the Seas and the Sky.

“Behold! in the creation of the heavens and the earth; in the alternation of the night and the day; in the sailing of the ships through the ocean for the profit of mankind; in the rain which Allah Sends down from the skies, and the life which He gives therewith to an earth that is dead; in the beasts of all kinds that He scatters through the earth; in the change of the winds, and the clouds which they Trail like their slaves between the sky and the earth;- (Here) indeed are Signs for a people that are wise.” Al-Baqara, Chapter #2, Verse #164)


If it be His Will He can still the Wind: then would they become motionless on the back of the (ocean). Verily in this are Signs for everyone who patiently perseveres and is grateful.” Ash-Shura, Chapter #42, Verse #33)


Comments

Popular Posts