We are stronger than our cirumcstances

The story of a funeral can be told in black beads. They are the beads we used to count the number of Duas made. They pass through many hands, multiple times and are a witness to the fervent Prayers uttered by many lips. It is funny how at a time of loss, we turn to such a primitive manner of counting. Yet it maybe our need to go back, to feel a closeness to both life and eve death, something we all have to taste one day.

I was at a funeral today and while sitting there, feeling sorry for the relatives of the deceased, my mind wandered. I began to think of the human ability to commiserate, at the extent to which we can empathize with one another.

I believe empathy is what makes and breaks us.

For me, it breaks me more. It robs me off my power to think objectively and be of any value to the next person while I am busy feeling sorry for them. I wonder why I get that affected. I suppose I have my overly vivid imagination to thank for that.

And then unbidden, a Verse from The Quran that I recite mostly at night came to my mind.

“Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity. It will have [the consequence of] what [good] it has gained, and it will bear [the consequence of] what [evil] it has earned. "Our Lord, do not impose blame upon us if we have forgotten or erred. Our Lord, and lay not upon us a burden like that which You laid upon those before us. Our Lord, and burden us not with that which we have no ability to bear. And pardon us; and forgive us; and have mercy upon us. You are our protector, so give us victory over the disbelieving people."
 Even though I have read this many times before, I wonder why it never really hit me, this stark truth; that we are stronger than our circumstances. That no matter how much we wallow for ourselves or even another person, at some point all of us do have the ability to get up from the pit, face the darkness and even climb out, into the light.

May be what I am writing is not so significant but it is life-giving for me. For someone struggling to not over empathize and still be functional, it is enlightening to finally realize that no matter our beliefs, we are not alone. That Our Creator has given us different strengths and He will test us according to them. We cant see that, we cant even know our own strength at times , as we are just the Creation and discovery is an important part of our journey.

Whoever you are, I Pray that you rise above your circumstances and in doing so, find your strength.

Comments

Popular Posts